Thursday, May 17, 2012

My run-in with the Belgians ...

Well, it's been a pretty boring couple weeks without Vic around. The weather was amazing for a couple of days, and then turned back to typical Schweinfurt. We finally found out that we were moving in July, then found out that we are not moving at all, and now it seems that we could be moving in October. I've decided that it will probably change a couple more times ... so, stay tuned. I have found that with the Army, no move is certain until your household goods are on a truck.
Last weekend we were able to drive a couple hours east to visit with Vic. He is currently at a Warriors Leadership Course, which is a pretty big deal ... in my opinion :) He is working really hard, and doing great on all of his tests, presentations, etc. Anyway, we spent a few hours hanging out with him - shopped at the PX, and ate lunch at a cute little Greek restaurant. We will be going back a week from today to see him graduate, so that should be exciting. It was Mother's Day, so I was just happy to be spending it together as a family!
I did get slightly lost on the way home, and accidentally drove onto what appeared to be a firing range, which was occupied by the Belgian Army. I was following our crazy GPS and ended up deep into the woods, then the paved roads turned to dusty roads, then those roads turned to gravel ..... annnnd, then the road disappeared. At this point I stopped to get my bearings, and to my right were several men shooting large weapons. To my left were signs that read, "Danger: High Impact Zone". Perfect. But, the ultimate sign that I was in the wrong place was when a man in full sniper gear ... ghillie suit and all ... crossed in front of the Jeep. Now, I'm fairly certain when sniping practice is taking place ... the public is not welcome. Just as a few Belgians were starting to take notice of me, I was able to quickly reverse and make my way back to safety. As I was driving back towards post, I was certain I was going to be pulled over, and Eli and I would be detained for coming across some secret foreign territory ... we had seen too much! I have never been happier to see the Autobahn and I raced, as fast as the Jeep allowed, back to Schweinfurt.

Dusty tires from the Jeep's first off-roading experience ...


Whenever Vic is away, I try to send him a picture a day. I have manage to get a few pretty good ones ...

We've added bubbles to bath time, and Eli is a huge fan.


I love this picture because he looks so cool ... just chillin' in my Bumbo seat ...


He has finally started acknowledging the dogs. He will reach for them if they come near him, and loves when Lola lays next to him. I think Roscoe preferred being ignored, because after he got his ear pulled - he has kept his distance.


He's still at it with the burp cloths. He will laugh for hours if you put on on his head. Weird, but at least he's easily entertained.


Speaking of entertained, Mimi Heath sent us a couple Baby Einstein DVDs and he loves them. He will either sit in front of the tv or swing, and will watch them two or three times through. This is great news for me because I am able to get so much done around the house. It is also bad news for me because they are horribly annoying, but - I'll take the good with the bad.


Picture from Mother's Day ... after we got home from visiting Vic!


After Vic's graduation, we will be able to drive home together, and that will start a four-day weekend. We are planning on visiting Wurzburg and Munich. Munich will be by train, so that should make for a couple interesting stories. Either way, next time I should have some great pictures to post!

No comments:

Post a Comment