Saturday, March 3, 2012

Worst move ... ever.

Our stuff was delivered on Thursday!! Everything started out perfectly ... the workers arrived early enough to get the government furniture out and the moving truck was right behind them. The movers introduced themselves and immediately got to work. The first thing off the truck was the leather desk chair we bought at Fort Gordon ... I had forgotten about this, so I was excited to see it coming up the stairs. That excitement quickly changed when I saw the chair no longer had a single intact wheel. Ok, not a big deal - it's just the chair. The desk (also bought brand new at Ft. Gordon) was what I was REALLY excited about. Now, this isn't one of those fake wood desks that you get at Wal-Mart ... this is a big, strong, solid wood desk. It came through the door next and I could already see the mover's face before he completely unwrapped it. Two legs were broken off, the back was gone, a whole corner was missing, and there were scratches and dents everywhere. I started to get a little upset, but figured that had to be the end of the damages, right?? Wrong.
Our big, beautiful sectional couch was next, and after months of sitting on the overly scotch-guarded government couch ... I was dying to swan dive onto this thing. As they were taking off the plastic I could see the movers looking at each other like, "this bitch is about to lose it" ... surely enough, each piece had either a large rip or was stained. I managed to stay calm ... and the next couple hours went relatively smooth. We had a little scare when I opened the box that was supposed to have Vic's XBOX inside, but contained a lampshade instead. One worker quickly helped me find it in another box, and we laughed about how bad it would suck to have something stolen. At that moment the second mover came through the door and annouced that they were all done! The next few minutes went something like this ...

Me: 'Wow, that was fast ... I didn't even see you bring in the two flat screens!'
Mover #2: 'What flat screens?'
Me: 'Hahaha, shut up!'
Mover #2: 'No seriously ma'am, there's nothing left on that truck'
... this went on for several more minutes, until I finally realized he wasn't joking ...
Me: 'So you're telling me both our 50 inch flat screens are gone?'
Mover #1: 'I think what he's telling you is ... your ass got robbed'

Seriously, not one, but both of our TVs were stolen!! Now, to put a positive spin on this (if we can get fully reimbursed) ... we didn't really need two 50 inch TVs. It was nice at Ft. Gordon because we had the space, but here we would have had to put one of those suckers in our tiny bedroom, and it would have looked ridiculous. But, in the end, we spent thousands of dollars on those things, and it sucks to have anything stolen.

I have all the paperwork filled out and as receipts for most of the stuff, so hopefully I can file a claim on Monday and get the process started to get reimbursed.

Anyway, the first box I opened contained wine glasses, so I took that as a sign and had a drink. Today is day three of unpacking and everything is starting to come together. The rips and stains on the couch are pretty well hidden and the desk will get us by with the help of super glue and a Sharpie marker. Eli's nursery looks great and I can't wait to get his crib put together. Our bed came damage free and it's just as amazing as I remember!!

Vic has come to terms with his missing TVs, but is now on a mission to buy the biggest and craziest one he can get his hands on. He is doing well, and we can't wait to get him home in a few weeks!!

In other news, they announced this week that Schweinfurt will be closing and we will be moving to a nearby post about an hour away. We haven't heard too many specifics yet, but it looks like we"ll be here until August or so. There is a meeting on Tuesday night, so I should know more then. I can't believe I will be unpacking all these boxes to potentially turn around and do it again in six months ... but, that's Army life for you!!

In happy news, Eli is doing great. He is back to sleeping (almost) through the night and is smiling like a crazy man.


 
My neighbor friend Kim gave him this little jacket and he looks so cute in it!!


I was having a lot of trouble walking the dogs and doing laundry because I would have to leave Eli in the apartment ... so I invested in one of these things, that I swore I would never use.  It has been such a life-saver and he loves it!! I think we'll get some more use out of it when we start to travel ... and I can't wait to see Vic wearing it :)


He also loves his new swing!! This has also been a life-saver, he will sit in this thing for hours! You can tell in the picture how chubby he's getting!!


I still need to put the knobs on this end table, but you get the idea! My mom got us this glider and it's amazing ...


We just need the crib put together and a couple things here and there and his room will be done!!  I'll take pictures of the rest of the place when we get it put together, but right now everything is a disaster!


No comments:

Post a Comment