Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Mistaken Identity and Sausage Confusion ...

Vic and I try to get off-post as much as we can. We have had many amazing experiences, a few bad ones ... and a lot of confusion along the way. Lately though, we have had many Germans come up to us, and strike up full-on conversations. Sometimes we can quickly interject, and let them know that we only speak English ... but sometimes they are so deep into conversation that we have no choice but to ride it out. It's always a little awkward afterwards, when they pause for our reply and we say, "English??" Some repeat their whole speech in English; while some just walk away. This happened to us several times at the soccer game this weekend. The thing that gets me is that Vic is very non-German looking, and sometimes they are talking directly to him ... and with such an American presence in the town - it's very odd that this keeps happening to us. Each time it happens we spend several minutes talking about what we think they were trying to tell us. Something about Eli? We're doing something wrong? They want to know where we buy our shoes? They hate Americans? Either way ... one of us should probably take some German lessons.

Our favorite activity is quickly drawing to a close. I think we'll only have the chance to go to one more soccer game before we move to Grafenwoehr in October. We're sad about this, but we'll be much closer to Munich and Nuremberg, so we'll have the opportunity to go to some professional league games (I think that's what they are called ... I'm still learning about this soccer business).

Anyway, one of the things I love the most about going to the soccer games here is the stadium, and its rich history. It was built in 1943 by Willy Sachs who was the owner of the local ball bearings industry, and also a Major in the SS - he served underneath Heinrich Himmler. Anyway, they used the stadium for huge Nazi rallies, and it remains virtually unchanged today, except for minor upgrades.

This is the entrance to the stadium ... note the Nazi-era Eagle on top of the pylon. Side note on the eagle statues (I'm full of history lessons today) ... when the eagle's head is facing the right; it is a national symbol ... when it's facing to the left; it was used as a Nazi symbol. A lot of the eagles remain on and around post ... but, thankfully, they all have the oak leaves surrounding a swastika removed.


This is the stadium during a Nazi rally ... it looks the same now, except they added chairs.


It's very crazy to me to be living around so much history, and also that we can go enjoy a soccer game in a beautiful venue where only 70 years ago so much hate took place. I was just looking through old pictures of Schweinfurt, and I found one of Hitler giving a speech on a very statue where I have sat and ate a bratwurst. Crazy.

Anyway, the history lesson is over.

This was one of the more crowded games we have been to, although you can't tell from the photo. We usually try to hang back, and avoid the rowdy crowd. The field is surround by these stone steps, and you pay a much cheaper price for tickets if you choose to sit here.


He loves being outside! Unfortunately, this mood didn't last, and he threw a screaming fit until he passed out for his afternoon nap.


The stroller tray doubles as a teething device ...


My favorite and the only type of sausage I will eat, but I'm so confused by sausage lingo. This is a bratwurst at the soccer game, but every town/restaurant has a different name for different things, and I can never order this correctly anywhere else.

I think this is a currywurst? There are some really scary sausages out there. Vic is usually game to try anything, but I'm too chicken, and will only eat my bratwurst ... or whatever it's called ...


Vic is gone for a couple weeks. It's just a training ... nothing serious, and nothing involving the craziness going on. He only had a 24-hour notice, so packing was a bit of a nightmare. You can tell I was a HUGE help in the process. In case you're wondering ... this thing is ridiculously heavy, and claustrophobia-inducing. I think I'll pass on joining the Army.


I've been telling Vic for weeks that I want to invest in a baby backpack carrier. I shopped around and they are horribly expensive, plus Vic is terrified of getting his neck puked on - so we passed on the idea. Anyway,  I found a woman on a Facebook Yardsale page who was selling this gem for $7!!! This will be great for castle tours where they don't allow strollers, and hiking! Eli loved it, and it is surprisingly comfortable. I also scored a really nice free lawn mower (for our new yard!!!) this week ... the only thing I love more than a good deal, is a free deal!


I had a job interview last week that went amazingly well ... the principal ended up being from Chalmers, Indiana, a huge Purdue fan, and graduated from Frontier (where my parents went), so needless to say - we had plenty to talk about. I also have an interview tomorrow ... so keep your fingers crossed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment