Friday, September 7, 2012

Trouble on the Train ...

Last Friday we had our friend Jennifer watch Eli for the night, so we could go to dinner a grab a couple of drinks. We had a great time, but a couple drinks turned into half a dozen ... and I wasn't feeling so hot the next morning. We had originally planned to take the train into Munich, and make our way to the Dachau concentration camp ... but after our night, we settled on a quick trip to the city of Coburg.
When we left for the train station; I was feeling pretty good, and excited for a new city adventure. Once we got on the train I had the strong urge to puke or faint ... or both. I think it was a mix of a hangover, motion sickness, and a crowded train. Now, I have fainted a couple times in the past year ... aside from just sucking in general, it's also horribly embarrassing. I just kept thinking about fainting on the train, and being taken away by a German ambulance, and winding up in a German hospital. Side note on German hospitals ... they are big fans of the extended stay. Case in point - my five day hospital stay after a complication free labor. Anyway, I knew I couldn't make it to Coburg, so I asked Vic if we could get off at the next stop. We didn't know what the next stop was, but I was hoping if I could get some fresh air and a drink ... I would be fine. The stop happened to be Bamberg ... a pretty big town. Vic ran off to grab me a drink and a pretzel, while I laid, half-dead, on a train bench ... most likely looking like a homeless woman. Vic definitely saved the day, and was very helpful during my hour of need.
Once I got my life together, we checked the schedule for the next train to Coburg - which, of course, wasn't for another hour and a half. At that point, we decided to take the easy way out, and explore Bamberg for the day. We had already visited the city once, but there were several things we didn't get to see.

St. Martin church ... the picture doesn't do justice - it was beautiful!


Outside of St. Martin ...


Eli was really excited about Bamberg. During our last visit we used the baby harness instead of a stroller. I couldn't remember why ... until we hit the cobblestone. We have a great stroller, but it doesn't do cobblestone well ...


We saw these in a store front window. Funny.


The rose garden at the palace. We had visited this during the winter ... and it looks like a completely different place once the flowers bloomed!


The one thing we didn't do last time was St. Michael's Church. It was a little hike to get there, but well worth it. The outside is enormous, but I was a little disappointed with the inside ... it wasn't my favorite church.




Again, I know very little about religion and/or churches ... but this is a chair towards the front of the church. The detail was amazing. I don't know who gets to sit there, but they're probably pretty important.


St. Michael and the devil, maybe?? Again ... I really should have paid attention and/or attended that religion class in college.

Really creepy statue ...


Tombs of bishops from the 1400's ...


View of Bamberg from behind the church ...



The courtyard area was really pretty ...


Vineyards ...

Looking back at the church ... it is massive ...


Feeling MUCH better at this point ...


Love this picture of Vic ...


Rather than walk all the way around the church to get back to where we started ... we decided to take this shortcut ... with the stroller.

This is a cute little restaurant in the city center ...


Down for the count. Please notice the outfit change ... the cobblestone shook him up a little too much after lunch.

Not counting the minor road bump in the beginning, it was a pretty successful day. We ate a lot of good food, and managed to take home a couple cool souvenirs.

I don't know why this picture is so small, but I thought it was cute. He loves playing with Vic's Army gear.


On Sunday we went to a restaurant called the Schiesshaus (translation: Shooting House, because it is out by the firing range), and they have the biggest portions of any restaurant I have ever visited. This is a schnitzel (with a couple bites taken out of it), and Vic and I could barely finish this together. To give you an idea of the size ... that's a cafeteria sized tray that it's laying on! It is also insanely cheap - which automatically makes it my new favorite restaurant.


Little piggies that greet you in the bier garden at Schiesshaus ...


This is Eli's new antic of the week. When he is being rocked to sleep during the day, he has to have his eyes covered. Apparently it is too bright in his room. Such a diva ... he needs a little baby sleep mask.


It's going to get pretty busy around here for us. We are driving to Graf on Thursday to sign for our new HOUSE!! I brown-nosed a little bit, and I got in good with the lady who assigns houses. She assured me we won't be in stairwell apartments again, which means we will have our own backyard and washer and dryer - among many other upgrades! A bigger place also means a guest bedroom for more visitors!!! Have I mentioned that we need more visitors??
After we sign for housing, we'll have to repaint our apartment here in Schweinfurt, and start to pack things up. Vic will begin out-processing in a couple weeks, and we should be ready to move by the beginning of October. I'll post some pictures of the new place next week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment