Tuesday, November 22, 2011

First Days in Schweinfurt

     I made it! This website is in German, so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right ... but we'll see! I arrived yesterday at 3:30 am (America time) and 9:30 here. The flight went really well ... I had an aisle seat and then two seats between myself and the other guy sharing my row. I watched a couple movies and managed to sleep for a few hours. Lola did great on the flight ... she only barked a couple of times when people would try to talk to me. Roscoe did not have as pleasurable of an experience. During the ticketing process in Atlanta he was crying and howling like crazy ... I did not even know he was capable of such noises. The lady didn't even check his paperwork, I'm sure this was in an effort to get him away from her as soon as possible. When I picked him up in Germany he was covered in poop and crying even louder than he was in Atlanta. Vic met me shortly after I got my luggage and we let him out of the cage and he was allowed to walk through the airport on a leash ... and he was much happier.The drive from Frankfurt to Schweinfurt was really pretty and I was able to see a couple castles from the Autobahn!
     Once we got into Schweinfurt, Vic took me to the apartment so I could get changed and drop off the dogs. The place is really nice!! The outside is a little questionable, but the inside is much better than what we had at Fort Gordon. The kitchen has newer appliances and tons of storage ... it's just missing a garbage disposal - apparently the Germans are not big on that. The bathroom is my favorite part ... the shower is really cool, and we have a heated towel rack! Our bedroom is nice, but a lot smaller than what we're used too. There isn't a closet, but instead these full wall wardrobe things. They are nice, but it makes it hard to put our furniture in the room ... thank goodness we have a storage unit! We haven't met our neighbors yet, but the building seems quiet so far!
     After we dropped the dogs off, Vic taught me how to use the bus and we ran a couple errands. The base is weird and it will definitely take me awhile to learn my way around. It's kind of divided into two bases, so you have to take the bus between each side. It is pretty though ... very WWIIish ... if that's even a thing?
     We're looking forward to the Thanksgiving 4-day weekend so we can relax and get the house set-up. Our first small shipment (pots&pans, clothes, bedding, towels, baby stuff, etc) should get here on Thursday, but we're not expecting our house-hold goods for 2-3 months!! In the meantime we have loaner furniture and Vic's sponsor (who turned out to be amazing) even let us borrow a tv!
     We're are doing well ... baby included!! We're going today to get my first doctor appointment set-up. I'll post pictures of the house and base in the next couple days!!
    



1 comment:

  1. So glad your travels went well (minus the poop), and that you & Vic are together again! Sounds like you have learned a lot already & will quickly make Schweinfurt home. Can't wait to see the pics! Enjoy your long weekend & Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete