Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving from Schweinfurt!! We set-up our phone and internet this morning!! We would love to call friends and family, but it's 3am in the states :) If you get a call from a weird number, make sure you answer!! We also got our first shipment of stuff! It wasn't a lot, but at least we have towels, dishes, bedding, and some of the baby's stuff.

Yesterday I ventured out on my own while Vic was at meetings. I even took the bus by myself! I ran errands and then met Vic for a Thanksgiving lunch with his unit. I was able to meet a lot of people and stuff my face with food.

The house is still empty, but I thought I would post some pics of the weird/cool stuff ...

The toilets in Germany are super weird. There are two buttons on top ... one for a 'small' flush and the other for a 'big' flush. Haha ... I'll let you figure out what those are for.

This is the heated towel rack in the bathroom is my favorite!

Full wall of wardrobe closets in our bedroom ... I thought this would be a pain in the ass, but there is actually tons of storage. There is another half wall of these and we have plenty of space for all of our clothes and shoes. These are also in the bathroom and living room. 
German light switches ... weird.
The outside of our place. I love being on the first floor. Our main priority for next week is to get some curtains ... I'm pretty sure the neighbors have got to know us a little too well over the past few days.
Love our kitchen ... it's not huge, but there is a ton of storage. To the left is the fridge and even more storage and a pantry.

German socket vs. American socket ... see below for our first mishap ...

Vic is trying to blame me for this, but I assure you that he is the one who told me to do it :) We don't have american outlets in the bedroom, and I wanted to plug in a heating pad. Vic told me he had bought an adapter ... which I warned against using, but he assured me it would be fine. Well I plugged it in and it exploded ... and blew the fuse in the bedroom. Needless to say the heating pad is shot ... and we learned a good lesson!!!
Vic was issued all of his gear yesterday ... this picture doesn't do justice for how much stuff is actually there. Good thing we have tons of storage ... and hopefully he never has to use any of it! You can see our loaner furniture and tv in the background. Speaking of tv ... we get about 6 American channels and they show the weirdest stuff. It is also really behind ... we watched Sunday Night Football on Monday and Monday Night Football on Tuesday! There also aren't any commericials ... it is all military PSA's, which are really lame.

Vic's favorite German beer. They give it to you in this huge crate, and then you bring the bottles back to get a deposit back. It's really strong beer!!

That's about it until our furniture gets here!! We are hoping to go downtown this weekend to the Christmas Market ... we'll take some pictures of the city!

No comments:

Post a Comment