Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Merry Christmas from Germany!

I'm a few days late, but I hope everyone had a good Christmas. Now that our phones are up (mostly due to my profanity-laced tirade) we were finally able to talk to our families! This was my first Christmas away from my family, so it was a little rough. I have lived away from Indy for almost 6 years, but I have always gone back for at least Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - although a couple times I have made the mistake of staying TOO long. Since I can remember, I have always wrapped all the presents for my mom (even my own at times). While she excels on many fronts, she may be the worst present wrapper of all time, so I'm assuming all gifts were put in bags this year. I definitely missed waking up with my little brother to open presents - he slept in until like 8:30 this year, which wouldn't have happened if I was around. I also missed scratching lottery tickets at Mimi and Papa's ... this year could have been my year to win millions. Aside from missing my family, I couldn't be happier to spend Christmas in Germany with my (new) little family and start our own traditions.

 My face has gotten really fat in the past couple weeks ... not the best picture, but it will do!
 36 weeks!
 We had the Logan's over for dinner and we made way too much food (this wasn't even all of it) ... but it was sooo good, and we're still working on leftovers. This is our loaner table from the Army - which is one of the nicer things they allow us to borrow. One of these days I'll post a picture of the bed/cot that we're attempting to sleep on.

The day after Christmas we decided that we would go downtown and do some shopping, but we didn't realize that it was a German holiday and NOTHING was open. We walked around for a little bit and then noticed a few places to eat were starting to open. We went inside one and I'm pretty sure you had to have some kind of membership or special password to eat there. As soon as we sat down a lady came over and gave us a big speech in German and finished it off with, 'NO EAT!' We promptly left through the crowd of German stares and went down the street to what we know best ... the doner shop ... which was probably better anyway!

Earlier in the week we celebrated our one-year anniversary with dinner at a fancy Italian place downtown. The restaurant is under the town hall building in the middle of the city square.
 The food was pretty good, but very different than American-Italian food. I now know what al-dente pasta tastes like.
Anyway, Vic has another week of half-days and then another four day holiday weekend!! We're planning a day trip to either Wurzburg or Nuremburg ... which will probably be our last one for awhile! Our car is coming on the 3rd, so I'm going to attempt to take my driving test this week ... should be interesting!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment