Sunday, December 11, 2011

Another Schweinfurt Adventure

     We had a pretty slow week so we decided to go downtown yesterday and do some shopping. Curtains were a priority on the list, as the whole neighborhood is still witness to our every move. We didn't find any curtains and then we were sidetracked by food and sweets. I love the downtown area ... it is busy with people, but not crazy. The main stores they have are H&M and TJ Maxx (which they call TK Maxx). There are also a lot of boutique type stores, little shops, and tons of cafes and restaurants.
When it came time to eat we, of course, made a stop at the Doner shop ... which was amazing, but I was determined to try some kind of schnitzel/sausage type creation. We headed to the market where Vic picked up this little guy ...
     It was pretty good, but I don't know if we would go back for another. I also got a skewer of different kinds of fruit covered in chocolate ... which was so good, but I looked like a 2nd grader eating it with chocolate all over my face and hair. At the Doner shop, Vic forced this drink upon me ...
     It is carbonated apple juice and I don't suggest it.

     Following  the Doner/schnitzel smorgasbord we decided we needed a break - Vic wanted a beer and I just needed to sit my pregnant-self down. We stumbled across this little gem ... the entrance way is where the Roth Bier sign is ...
       When you walk in the entrance there was a long hallway with a trash closet and a bathroom ... and this tricky door (below) with no signs or anything. We were skeptical about walking in ... I thought we should knock first, but Vic burst through the door before we could weigh our entrance options.
     What we stumbled into look like a grandmother's kitchen. There were like 12 seats in the restaurant. The whole place went quiet and everyone stared at us like we were crazy. The guy who was running the place was really nice, but spoke no English. We managed to get a beer and Coke out of him. People were eating some amazing looking things in there, so we may have to go back now that we know the drill.
     Back to the shopping, we picked up a couple things to start Baby E's stylish European wardrobe. I've decided that he will probably be the best dressed kid on this Army base ... possibly all of Germany. Say what you will about the dinosaur raincoat, but it's my favorite ... he just needs some red rain boots to complete the look. By the way ... a raincoat is a must-have if you are planning to visit.
      The H&M here has kids clothes and they are too f'ing cute ... we could have spent all day and tons of money on hilarious stuff like this ...
      Speaking of Baby E ... he's getting huge and so am I. As soon as we get our car on January 3rd, I'll be ready for him to make his big arrival. As you can see, our house is still empty and I don't think there is any hope for our furniture before February ... I blame the ever efficient Fort Gordon transportation staff for this.
     What we do have is Eli's bassinet/Pack and Play ... which Vic put together with ease. I hate that we won't have the nursery set-up until after he is born - as all of his furniture is floating on the Atlantic Ocean right now - but we have enough stuff to get by.
We got presents in the mail this week from my Mimi and Papa and some candy from Mimi Sue ... so it is starting to feel a little like Christmas around here! We're taking two trips next week so hopefully we'll have some exciting pictures on the next post. Our phone and internet should be up on Wednesday. If the service is not turned on like they promised, you can guarantee that I will march into the office in a pregnant rage and flip over someone's desk! Hopefully that doesn't happen and we'll be able to call everyone on Wednesday or Thursday!!








No comments:

Post a Comment