Sunday, June 22, 2014

Nuremburg - Father's Day

For Father's Day weekend we headed to Nuremburg for the day. I think we have been there half a dozen times, and it never disappoints. It's one of my favorite cities ... but I think I've said that about every city.

We walked around the city for a bit, and made our way up to the castle. We stopped at our favorite castle-side restaurant to grab traditional Nürnberg sausages and a couple beers. After that we walked around the castle grounds for a bit.









After the castle - we did our favorite family activity ... shopping. E needed a couple of things, and we found some great deals. 

I stopped at the Starbucks on the main shopping strip and got my favorite chocolate mocha ... there's just something about how the Germans make their coffee - it's so much better than back home.

After shopping we made our way to our favorite sushi spot and grabbed a great seat by the window. Vic had a hilarious time attempting to order a drink. He really wanted a tequila and pineapple ... like, just a shot of tequila with pineapple juice ... in a cup. The waitress had the hardest time understanding what he was talking about. She came back three times to clarify ... and then she, literally, brought him a shot of tequila with a dash of pineapple. Haha, poor Vic and his wacky drink orders.

We spotted this craziness across the street. This car was covered in rhinestones, or whatever the heck they were. He definitely wasn't German - no German is that flashy.


So, I have wrote about it several times, but Vic and I always have the worst time parking here - mostly in parking garages, which is typically where you have to park. Spots are small and corners are tight - which makes it hard to maneuver our boxy Jeep. Anyway, in this particular day the garage in Nuremburg was pretty full, so we couldn't be picky with our spot. We saw one against a wall with a car on the other side and figured it was our best bet. I turned the wheel over to Vic and helped him maneuver in ... it wasn't pretty, but, after 10 minutes, we we're straight and between the lines. We didn't leave much room for the driver of the car next to us, but that's life with a Jeep in these German-sized spots. We stood back and looked at our job, and even made a couple comments on how well we did! Well, flash-forward seven hours and we came back to this sticker on our window ... 


This translates to, 'shit parking' ... hilarious. We laughed for half the ride home. I didn't know the Germans were capable of such humor. 

Last weekend Vic and I flew solo to watch the Germany vs. Portugal soccer match. We have a new babysitter that we love, so we're putting her to work! Anyway, we settled for a local bar, and had a great time. It was mostly Americans inside, but the Germans around downtown were out in full force - especially after the win. It was pretty cool to experience. Germany plays America this week, but we're going to watch it at a friends house ... I'm not sure the bar scene would be our safest bet!

Yesterday we had a graduation celebration BBQ, and it was a lot of fun! I meant to take pictures, but I forgot. We played beer pong and cornhole, and Elliott had so much fun running around with the kids. 

My friend Vanessa made some amazing cupcakes, and I'm still snacking on them this morning!


We're going to take it easy this week in preparation for our trip to England and Ireland next Tuesday!! I think I have everything planned out and organized, but it's definitely our biggest trip to date!


No comments:

Post a Comment